Communications Officer - Liberia
Based: EJF office in Monrovia, Liberia
Contract: Full-time, permanent
Salary range: €20,000 – 27,000 (dependent upon experience)
- Private healthcare package
- Annual leave of 17 days plus all 11 Liberian national public holidays, increasing by 2 days each year of service, plus 1 personal day per year
This is a role for an ambitious, talented Communications Officer with fantastic copywriting and organisational skills, an eye for a good story and the confidence to secure media coverage. As EJF’s Liberia Communications Officer you will be working closely with the Liberia Country Coordinator and our international communications team to develop and deliver an ambitious media strategy for EJF’s project to secure sustainability and social equity in Liberia’s fisheries sector.
- Plan, develop and implement agreed communications strategies.
- Working closely with the UK-based communications team and graphic designer, the Communications Officer will produce press releases, social media content, webpage content, and other communications output such as leaflets, banners and posters.
- Identify and engage target radio networks for radio programs and support local communities to engage with radio journalists.
- Proactively develop a network of engaged journalists to secure significant media coverage for the project and improve the quality of coverage of Liberia’s fishing industry in general.
- Respond to media enquiries and work with colleagues to maximise opportunities for coverage.
- Coordinate journalist training workshops.
- Organise press trips and produce related communications materials.
- Promote project films and radio programmes to both national media outlets and at local screening events.
- Coordinate press conferences and trips – ensuring the smooth running of special events, including for guest speakers and other high-profile supporters.
- Ensure that all communications materials comply with EU branding
Essential skills and attributes:
- Strong news sense and the ability to convey complex messages to multiple audiences, including local fishing communities
- Ability to produce inspiring and fact-checked copy for print and online
- A degree or equivalent experience in communications, media, journalism, public relations or a similar field
- Experience of working in a media/press team with excellent working knowledge of the media landscape in Liberia. Existing contacts an advantage
- A track record of delivering projects with minimal supervision.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Tactful, friendly and calm under pressure
- Confident, resilient, tenacious and collaborative in your approach
- Passionate about environmental and human rights issues
- Experience working within television or radio media, including operating a camera and conducting recorded interviews.
- Previous experience of working on environmental or fisheries issues.
Applications: please send your CV and cover letter explaining why you are the right person for this job to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: We will consider applications as they are submitted, interviews will take place from 3rd February.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
EJF is an equal opportunities employer, committed to diversity within the workplace. We encourage minorities and under-represented groups (especially women) to apply.
SIGN UP FOR OUR EMAILS AND STAY UP TO DATE WITH EJF'S NEWS AND EVENTS
By subscribing to our newsletter, you ensure that you will stay up-to-date with latest news on our work and our campaigns, as well as how you have been part of achieving those goals. We carefully select what goes into our emails so that you will only receive relevant and interesting news about our campaigns. We will let you know when we have exposed a critical environmental issue or uncovered human rights abuses. We will ask you to get involved when your actions can make a difference, and we look forward to inviting you to our events.