Come and help us make a difference
Communications and Fundraising Assistant
Contract: Full-time, permanent
Salary range: £20,000 – 25,000 per annum depending upon experience
- Annual leave of 28 days (including 8 public holidays) increasing by 2 days each year of service, plus 1 personal day per year and additional paid leave over Christmas.
- Generous employer contributory pension increasing for each year of service.
- Private healthcare insurance.
- Cycle-to-work scheme.
- Option to work from home one day per week.
This role is for an enthusiastic, energetic graduate who is passionate about protecting the natural world. You will join our growing team in Bath, supporting our media and communications, research and social media; alongside our fundraising, with a particular emphasis on corporate and public engagement.
This is an entry-level role, providing valuable experience in communications, press, fundraising and research. Tasks will include drafting communications copy, researching funding opportunities and carrying out office administration duties.
The successful candidate will be a confident communicator, who is happy articulating EJF campaigns both verbally and in writing. They will be organised and efficient, keeping up to date records and prioritising tasks.
- Undertake research and draft reports and blog posts relating to current EJF campaigns, with support from the press and communications coordinator.
- Support our digital media engagement, including producing web updates and other communications.
- Research funding opportunities with support from the fundraising coordinator, including potential corporate partners and grant funders, maintaining accurate and detailed records.
- Assist in gathering information from campaigners to support funding applications.
- Assist in the organisation of events, including logistics handling and invitations.
- Make contact with organisations, universities and prospect supporters to build relationships and grow support.
- Research local and national press contacts, growing EJF’s database of journalists.
- Office administration tasks.
The successful candidate will:
- Have a passion for writing and presenting to diverse audiences, adapting language and tone to suit various platforms and ensure factual accuracy throughout.
- Think creatively helping to generate ideas that contribute to effective fundraising and communication strategies.
- Be adaptable and able to think laterally to solve problems.
- Have strong interpersonal skills, understanding the need for integrity and determination to secure positive partnership outcomes.
- Take initiative and responsibility for key tasks, able to meet deadlines, multi-task and prioritise your work.
- Have strong team-working skills, happily supporting colleagues and taking on a variety of tasks, whilst being able to work independently and on your own initiative.
- Speak and write English with complete fluency.
- Be educated to degree-level (preferably post-graduate), in a relevant subject or with demonstrable and relevant post-graduate work experience.
- Know that change is not easily won, but worth winning.
You may also have:
- Experience of journalism/published writing or film-making/photography.
- Proficiency in other European language/s (French, Spanish or German).
Applications: please send your CV and cover letter explaining why you are the right person for this job to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: 5pm 30th November 2018
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Candidates must have and be able to retain the legal right to work in the UK.
EJF is an equal opportunities employer, committed to diversity, fair and equal treatment within the workplace.
Campaign Assistant – Thailand
Based: Bangkok (with opportunity to travel often)
Type of appointment: Fixed-term
Remuneration: 30,000 – 55,000 baht per month (depending on experience)
Duration of contract: 6 months (potentially renewable or convertible to a permanent position, subject to performance review)
The Environmental Justice Foundation (EJF) is seeking to employ a campaign assistant in Thailand. The position will include assisting with ongoing communications and collaboration with relevant Thai Government ministries and departments, engagement with a range of stakeholders across the fishing industry, and scientific, in-depth assessment of current and future sustainability measures. Successful candidates should be comfortable working independently, be confident in public speaking and especially during high-profile meetings, and be prepared to travel within Thailand.
This position is open to Thai citizens only.
Essential skills and experience:
- Fluency in Thai
- Professional proficiency in the English language
- A first degree in any relevant discipline (journalism, social science, environmental science, marine sciences)
- A minimum of three years of relevant work experience (journalism, NGOs, private sector)
- Demonstrable experience forming and maintaining relationships with various stakeholders
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Ability to use desk-based internet research to gather information
- Familiarity with Office packages (Word, Excel)
Desirable skills and experience:
- A higher degree in a relevant discipline
- Demonstrable interest in or experience working on any of the following topics: sustainable fisheries, fish stock assessment or biodiversity assessment, marine conservation issues, global seafood industry
- Professional camera experience (film or photography)
- Ability to work independently
- Experience in conducting field-based investigations
- Fluency in additional Southeast Asian languages (Khmer, Indonesian or Burmese) an asset
- Car driving license
Applications: please send your CV and cover letter to: email@example.com
Closing date for applications: 16th November (applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis)
Volunteering at EJF
EJF has opportunities for people looking to acquire new skills or utilise their experience by volunteering. You will work alongside a dedicated, ambitious team who will guide you and support you in your tasks. In return we offer travel and lunch expenses and a fun experience.
Sustainable Fashion volunteer researcher
Location: The successful candidate will be based in EJF’s Bath office.
Period: 3 months
EJF is looking for a creative and enthusiastic volunteer researcher to be part of its work to protect people and planet.
We are looking for a researcher to produce a campaign report on the environmental and human rights issues linked to fashion, with a major focus on cotton and synthetic or semi-synthetic fibres such as viscose.
The report will help support EJF’s calls for more organic, fairly-traded and climate neutral cotton production as a means to support livelihood needs in the Global South.
As well as researching and writing the report, you may be involved in writing webpages, blogs or other social media, as well as coming up with new ways to engage the public with this important issue.
Alongside the report, we would like support to develop and promote our campaign T-shirts, by researching new fashion designers we can approach, and ways in which we can market the designs effectively.
This is an exciting chance to gain valuable experience in the internal workings of a charity working on global issues relating to the global environment and human rights.
- Research and write campaign report; conduct image research for the report.
- Work with the comms team to produce webpages, social media features and blogs.
- Research fashion designers and brands to approach with our campaign.
- Help promote EJF T-shirt production and marketing and events on sustainable fashion.
- Excellent research, writing and communications skills, with attention to detail.
- Good planning and organisational skills.
Starting date: flexible in October or November
Working hours: 9am to 6pm, 3 days a week.
Remuneration: This is a volunteer position. Travel to or within Bath of up to £8.90 and £4 for lunch expenses per day will be covered.
To apply please send your CV and a short covering email explaining why you would like to volunteer for EJF to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: 15th October
SIGN UP FOR OUR EMAILS AND STAY UP TO DATE WITH EJF'S NEWS AND EVENTS
By subscribing to our newsletter, you ensure that you will stay up-to-date with latest news on our work and our campaigns, as well as how you have been part of achieving those goals. We carefully select what goes into our emails so that you will only receive relevant and interesting news about our campaigns. We will let you know when we have exposed a critical environmental issue or uncovered human rights abuses. We will ask you to get involved when your actions can make a difference, and we look forward to inviting you to our events.